Summer is coming to a close across much of the country where heatwaves are giving way to cooler temps and wetter weather. With the change of seasons, now is a great time to outfit your crews with the ground protection mats they need to keep working in the soggy conditions fall has to offer. Using professional ground protection mats helps you avoid unnecessary repair and replacement costs, complete job after job with happy customers, and enjoy a profitable bottom line at the end of the day.
Faster Work and Happier Customers
No question, you need to get the job done when planned, but wet environments can prevent you from starting the work. Using quality ground protection mats can get you in sooner and keep your schedule on track. Especially when the solution is lightweight, easy to deploy, dependable, and can support loads up to 120 tons.
You also want happy customers that refer their friends and contacts, not upset customers who call because of a torn up yard and have negative lasting memory of your work.
The Trouble with Plywood
Sadly, many operators have found out the hard way why plywood is a poor choice for ground protection. Plywood is inexpensive, but it also rots, warps, splinters, breaks apart and it’s slippery and messy to work with when wet. Exposure to heat, cold, insects etc. accelerate the rotting process, decrease worker satisfaction and drive up costs.
To prevent rutting damage, eliminate replacement costs, and provide their teams with an easy to use solution, professionals consistently choose AlturnaMATS Ground Protection Mats. High traction High-density Polyethylene AlturnaMATS can be used for years in wet, muddy, rocky, rough or manicured environments. AlturnaMAT’s flex and adapt to the contour of the ground without breaking and won’t absorb moisture, so they will never rot, warp, splinter, or break apart when used correctly.
Lastly, all AlturnaMATS Ground Protection Mats are equipped for easy linking. Turn-A-Links and EZ Link connectors are available to create a vehicle track way, parking area, or staging area for supplies and equipment.
Selecting Your Mat
Color, size and tread are the three primary considerations in picking the best ground protection mats for your needs.
- Color: If you have a need to protect turf from turning brown during warmer weather, clear AlturnaMATS are designed for this purpose. If that’s not an issue, black will do a great job meeting your needs.
- Size: Whether you choose clear or black, 4’x8’ and 3’x8’ sizes are the most popular. Larger sizes give you more drivable area, while the smaller versions weigh less and are easier to move.
- AlturnaMATS comes standard with an equipment tread pattern on both sides of the mat. These are ideal if your primary use is equipment travel.
- VersaMATS comes standard with a slip-resistant diamond tread pattern on one side and the AlturnaMAT’s equipment tread pattern on the opposite side. These are easy to walk on and have the capability to handle heavy equipment.
- Different tread pattern options are available, including a smooth surface.
Our friendly product specialists are also available to answer any questions you have regarding size, tread pattern, and color. Just give us a call at 800-610-3422. Or, see our complete line of AlturnaMATS Ground Protection in our online store.