Keith Anderson, expert lift planning and rigging engineer, reminds readers of International Cranes & Specialized Transport magazine that a level, load-sustaining base is critical to supporting cranes, which impose high loads and pressures on the ground. The article appeared in the June 2020 issue on page 27.
When designing a support system, he identifies three key questions to ask:
- What is the maximum load or pressure the crane will impose in use?
- What can the ground safely withstand?
- How effective is the matting or other distribution system in distributing the loads?
The article poses a scenario in which crane users can apply basic principles to any crane setup scenario. He identifies commonly available tools and resources and notes some best practices, and things to avoid. “Rules of thumb for estimating loads and mat sizing are a poor substitute for good information and should only be used with caution and be very conservative” says Anderson.
DICA concurs with Mr. Anderson and offers equipment users additional information and insights related to selecting outrigger pads and crane pads.
- Outrigger and Crane Pads Safe Use and Handling Guidelines
- Crane Pad and Outrigger Pad Sizing Graph
- 10 Tips for a Successful Crane Setup
- Explanation of Stiffness vs. Strength when choosing outrigger pads or crane pads
DICA’s fitting process is data based and makes selection of the right products simple and straightforward. Eliminate the risk and put the safety of your people and your equipment in the hands of a trusted process. To find out more, click here or call 800.610.3422 to start today.