DICA CEO, Kris Koberg presented at the 2015 SC&RA Crane and Rigging Workshop in Denver, CO. His presentation has been posted to the SC&RA website.
The presentation covered industry regulations regarding ground conditions and proper equipment setup. It also offered practical advice on how to estimate outrigger reaction forces, ground strength, preventing shear failure, and determining the correct pad sizing.
Kris received 4.6 out of 5 for delivering an “excellent, informative and engaging” session. One attendee commented that Mr. Koberg was “a great speaker with extremely valuable information. The reference information is a resource to help my company.”
Several highlights from the talk can be found below. For additional details on this topic, please see our “10 Tips for a Successful Crane Setup” page or contact our fitting specialist team at 800-610-3422.
- Avoid using a crane pad sizing rule of thumb or method that does not take defined ground conditions and actual outrigger loads into account.
- Know the maximum outrigger reaction forces for your equipment.
- Size the area for outrigger pads or crane mats based on defended ground conditions.
- Ensure the pad you choose has the strength and rigidity needed to not fail and to distribute the load.
- Consult with your outrigger pad or crane mat manufacturer.
Below is conference description of the Setting Up for Success Presentation and additional photos from the event.
Setting Up For Success
As they say, the devil is in the details and it’s no different when prepping and planning for a crane delivery or set-up. In this presentation Mr. Koberg covers the three factors affecting the size of the crane mat or outrigger pad and provides necessary evaluation tools for sizing mats or pads.